About the proposals:
- A new, modestly-sized Aldi food store with a sales area of 1,332m2
- Access and egress off Wern Ddu Lane to the west of the site, a further egress to the east of the site with separate access for delivery vehicles from the Dyffryn Enterprise Park
- A new store in a convenient location which would reduce the need for customers to travel further afield
- Free customer parking for 104 cars, including six disabled and nine parent-and-child spaces and two electric vehicle charging point
- Dedicated cycle and motorcycle parking spaces
- Creating up to 40 new jobs which will be paid at an industry-leading rate above the National Living Wage
- Additional employment opportunities during construction and the supply chain
- Attractive landscaping incorporated around the site to enhance its appearance
Detailed information can be found in the draft planning documents which are available to view or download on our Documents and Downloads page.
Highways, access, and parking
The proposal will have 104 car parking spaces, including six disabled and nine parent-and-child spaces for Aldi customers.
Pedestrians will be able to access the store via Wern Ddu Lane and the Dyffryn Enterprise Park, with safe pedestrian routes throughout the site.
Customer vehicles will access the store via Wern Ddu Lane, whilst delivery vehicles will have a separate access point from the Dyffryn Enterprise Park. There will also be an additional left-out only exit onto the Dyffryn Enterprise Park. The current access from Pool Road will be redeveloped into a new public footpath along the road.
Further supporting detailed information and consultant reports regarding the traffic, access, and parking arrangements are included in the documentation available to view and download here.
A contemporary design
Our proposal is to provide a high-quality and attractive food store for the community of Newtown.
To ensure an excellent appearance over the long-term, Aldi uses high-quality materials both inside and outside its buildings. The new Aldi store will utilise a combination of anthracite grey and metallic silver cladding with a charcoal brickwork plinth. It will have large elements of glazing along the western elevation and high-level ribbon windows to the southern elevation, together with a contemporary pressed metal feature canopy.